The Bottom Line
- Food is fresh, tasty and inexpensive
- Food is cooked to order, but ready in less than 10 minutes
- Great place for families
- Indoor and outdoor seating
- Limited menu selections
- No waiters/table staff
- Lacks anything approaching culinary creativity or refined ambiance
- Limited hours of operation (until 8:00 p.m. on weekdays & Saturdays, 5:00 on Sundays)
- Serves affordable "Calabash Style" seafood, which is deep-fried seafood, served with home fries, hush puppies and slaw.
- Located in the Raleigh Farmer's Market Complex off of Lake Wheeler Rd. 1201 Agriculture St., Raleigh NC (919) 833-4661
- If you're really on the hunt for some cheap eats, order the large portion. It is more than enough for two people to share.
Guide Review - NC Seafood Restaurant Raleigh Farmer's Market - Review of NC Seafood Restaurant
The steel building that houses the NC Seafood Restaurant was completely packed: The order-placing line (yes, there is NO tableside service) was about twenty people long. I thought that I was going to be in for a very long wait.
I was pleasantly surprised when a staff member worked her way through the line, writing up order tickets for us to hand to the cashier. I ordered a lunch-sized portion of flounder, and my husband treated himself to a lunch-sized order of scallops.
Five minutes later, our food was ready.
Since it was a beautiful afternoon, we just grabbed some ketchup, tartar sauce, lemon wedges, and our food (packed in Styrofoam carryout containers--no plates here!) and sat down at a picnic table that was located between the restaurant and the main farmer's market building.
My flounder was moist, flaky, not too greasy, and piping hot. The scallops were tasty, with no surprises or disappointments. Just deep fried scallops. My husband wished he had tried the broiled scallops, because he thought that NC Seafood Restaurant would be one of the rare places that could serve up a good plate of broiled scallops.
The accompanying side dishes were standard fare, not as good as I thought they would be. For instance, the hush puppies were dense, bland, and slightly soggy.
Still, NC Seafood Restaurant had supplied us with a filling, efficiently-prepared, and enjoyable meal at a value-packed price, and it deserves its place among Raleigh's landmark eateries.