Thanksgiving is a quintessentially American holiday. And a wonderful time to sit down with family and friends and reflect on why we're thankful. But let's face it. Not everyone likes to cook. And not every gathering is big enough to warrant a 12 pound turkey and hours in the kitchen. And sometimes, the big family gathering thing just doesn't come together.
If the thought of Thanksgiving ruffles your feathers, it's time to rethink the holiday. Consider dining out for Thanksgiving or ordering take-out for some, if not all of your Turkey Day staples. As an added bonus, you'll have more time to actually sit down with your loved ones and you can be add not having a sink full of dirty dishes to your list of things to be thankful for.
Dining Out for Thanksgiving
Some of Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill's finest restaurants are open for Thanksgiving. Many, but not all of them, are hotel restaurants. Check out their menus online and be sure to make your reservations early.
- Millennium Hotel A sumptuous Thanksgiving buffet at the Millennium Hotel, with a large selection of delicious choices. Adults $21.95, seniors $19.95, children 5-12 years $16, children 4 and younger free. 12-2 p.m. Durham.
- Fairview at the Washington Duke Inn & Golf Club Traditional Thanksgiving Buffet at the Fairview. 12pm, 3pm & 6pm. Durham.
- Herons at the Umstead Thanksgiving buffet at Herons. Seatings 12-6 p.m. Cary.
- Crossroads at the Carolina Inn Thanksgiving at Crossroads Restaurant. $49.95 adults $19.95 children. Chapel Hill.
- Fearrington House Inn and Restaurant Thanksgiving luncheon at Fearrington House. 12-5pm $65 per person. Chapel Hill.
- Four Square Restaurant Thursday, November 25th 3:30 to 7:30pm Three-course dinner on Thanksgiving at Four Square. Local turkey with all the trimmings as well as several other fall-inspired dishes. 3:30-7:30 p.m. $55 per person. Durham.
- Irregardless Cafe Eat in the Irregardless Cafe or take out. A al carte menu. Seatings 11 a.m.-8 p.m.
- Cracker Barrel Traditional Thanksgiving menu. Open all day on Thanksgiving. No reservations required. Multiple locations.
Tir na nOg Take a global view of Thanksgiving and enjoy a Thanksgiving Feast at country's largest vegetarian Thanksgivng? The daytime seating will be at Parizade in Durham and the evening seating will be at Spice Street in Chapel Hill. $23 adults, $26.50 non-member adults, $7 children age 5-10, children under 5 free.
Thanksgiving Take-OutIf you'd rather eat at home, but don't want to make everything yourself, try outsourcing part or all of your meal. Grocery and specialty food stores like Whole Foods Market, Fresh Market, Foster's Market, and Whole Foods Market offer the sides, the bird and desserts for just a few or for the whole crowd. Several of these stores even enable ordering online, so you can plan, shop for and "cook" your entire Thanksgiving dinner from the comfort of your living room.